Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday School Love

♪♫This is the day! (This is the day!)
That the Lord has made (That the Lord has made)
We will rejoice (We will rejoice)
And be glad in it (and be glad in it) ♪♫

♪♫I love to go to Sunday School, I love to go to Sunday School
I never want to miss such blessed times like these
I love to go to Sunday School♪♫

♪♫God’s not dead He’s alive. God’s not dead He’s alive.
I can feel Him all over me
I can feel Him in my hands.
I can feel Him in my feet.
I can feel Him in the air.
I can feel Him everywhere.
I can feel Him in the church.
I can feel Him on the street.
I can feel all over me!
Is God dead?!
No! No! No! ♪♫

These are just some of the many songs we learned from Sunday School. I remember that Sunday School service starts exactly at 9am with praise and worship, where most students wouldn’t dare to be late or they’ll get a dreaded “L” mark on the little boxes of their teacher’s green notebook. For us who studied in CEMI Academy (formerly CEMI Learning Center), we try not to miss a class because 3 absences means your parents will be called into Bishop Jesse’s office and they’ll have some explaining to do;) Praise and worship is then followed by the giving of our love offering and story telling time shortly afterwards. Who wouldn’t forget the drawing cut outs of the featured Bible story character that the teacher sticks on a blue board or the chalk talk of Pstr. Angelito Yutuc. Everyone stretches out their necks just to have a good view of the very colorful and cool drawing of Pstr. Yutuc.
We also have snack time but most don’t bring their baons, students find delight in buying food at the Camaya Store or at Kate’s (sari-sari stores located near the church). And ofcourse, there’s the street food buffet! Fishballs, kikiam, squidball, green mangoes, singkamas, ice cream, ice snowball (scramble) and the pink cotton candy with milk powder! :)

  
But “Sunday School Sunday” is extra special, this happens once a year and all levels of class get to perform at the Main Auditorium (Sanctuary). Complete with costumes and for some makeup, everyone should be on their performance level. After performing, teachers give out a plastic bag full of goodies to the students—LOTSA CANDIES FOR EVERYONE!!!

My daughter is 3 years old now and she’s been attending Sunday School for over a year. I still go with her to class every Sunday and I won’t mind doing it until she can attend school by herself. Why? Because I want her to have a good foundation. I know there will come countless times, that she will be more interested in snack time, doing artworks or seeing her friends but I also know that a seed of God’s Word will be planted in her by just being inside her Sunday School class.

At a young age, we didn’t know how blessed we were to be attending a Sunday School class. We didn’t know how those Bible stories would impact our lives as we get older. That sometimes simple songs like: I Love You Lord, Make Me A Servant and I Cast All My Cares Upon You, would come to you unexpectedly, making you sing it over and over again until you realize how you just needed that song to remind you of God’s power and sovereignty, and then peace suddenly floods your mind and heart.

I am grateful that I have attended Sunday School, I know many people out there feels the same way.
So, what are your fondest memories during your Sunday School years and how did it make an impact in your life?:)

1 comment:

  1. Very true indeed, Kay. Sunday school days were short and fleeting... and yet their impact last a lifetime. In moments of sadness, loneliness and fear, songs of comfort and joy flood your heart. the Bible verses your teachers told you to read, memorize and keep in your heart, come to mind at appropriate moments when you need them most. Praise God for Sunday school!...Mama

    ReplyDelete